Tuesday, June 22, 2010




6/18/10

Langunitas Hop Stoopid Ale- 14th St. Whole Foods- 22oz. Bomber into Pub Glass- Not a big fan of Whole Foods, but I was in Union Square and didn't have time to go to any of my usual haunts. I like the food at Whole Foods, but the crowds in there make it a little hard for me to handle so I don't go to often.I heard they have a good beer selection and it was good but not great. This beer has 8% ABV. Aromas are of citrus fruits and hops. Light orange in color. Average head and little lacing on the glass. Carbonation is fairly strong. A bit bitter but not overwhelming. Not as good as the Sierra Nevada Torpedo I recently tasted but still pretty good. My favorite "hoppy" beer that I have tried so far is Victory Hop Wallop which I didn't have a chance to review here. I think I expected this beer to have similar characteristics, as the Hop Wallop, especially its straw colored appearance.

I pulled Dave Dudleys- Pool Shark out tonight. His calling card song, a hit in 1962, was his version of Six Days On The Road. The song was written by Muscle Shoals songwriter Carl Montgomery and Earl Green. The song has been covered by several artists my favorite version is from The Flying Burrito Brothers. Dudley subsequently recorded a string of "trucker" inspired songs and LP's, which are all recommended, if you are interested in getting into the more obscure corners of classic country of the 60's and 70's. His rich baritone voice is something you don't hear much anymore in popular music but was well suited to the style and the delivery of the songs he sung. Dudley was cut from the same cloth as other great country singers and writers of the time who lurked a bit outside the norm: Tom T. Hall, Porter Wagoner, Waylon Jennings, Bobby Bare, etc. He was a unique singer, writer and interpreter of songs which told colorful stories, more often than not, focused on drifters, truckers, drinkers and men in some way who existed on the fringe. This LP follows similar themes. Song titles include "This Night (Ain't Fit For Nothing But Drinking), A Week In A Country Jail and Whose Arms Did You Fall Out Of Now, to name a few. Not my favorite of his but a good LP nonteless with a great cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment