Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Beer On A Tuesday With The Afternoon Off






Web- Hampton Hawes MP3

2/21/12

beeradvocate.com rating

Full Sail Black Lager- Received as part of a gift basket- Belgian Beer Glass - 5.4% ABV

Head- 2 finger foamy head

Color- Not pitch black, but more of a dark dark brown

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with depth, prickly carbonation

Aroma- I expected a real stout aroma but it only had light hints of those rich, roasted malts

Taste/ Overall- This is a real easy drinking beer and definitely has the mouth feel of a lager but with hints of a stout that the dark appearance would imply. I am enjoying this beer and is an interesting twist on the lager style.

On the turntable is Northern Windows- Hampton Hawes- recorded and released in 1974 for Fantasy Records.- I am not gonna say a whole lot about this record. I have the afternoon off and was hoping to do a quick post while having a beer and working on another record related project since the last few weeks have been spotty. This a nice record and Hampton Hawes is a criminally under appreciated jazz piano player in my opinion. I think I have 4 of his albums and this one is of note because of the inclusion of Wrecking Crew bassist Carol Kaye and the producing, arranging and conducting duties are filled by David Axelrod. This record ran me $15 which is towards the higher end of what I like to spend but its a great, warm record with rich bass lines and mix of electric keys and acoustic pianos runs. Hope you enjoy the above track Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment