Saturday, February 18, 2012

1970






2/3/12

beeradvocate.com rating


Delirium Tremens Noel- Received as part of a gift basket- Belgian Beer Glass - 10.0% ABV

Head- Huge off white, bone colored head- no lacing

Color- Reddish copper color

Mouthfeel- Pleasant, medium body with active carbonation

Aroma- Not a whole lot other than roasted malts.

Taste/ Overall- The taste of this reminds me of dark cherries and other dark fruits. It has some of the stickiness I associate with this type of big beer but it isn't to unpleasant. For a 10% ABV I feel like the booze is well hidden and this is actually a nice beer to sip on. I don't see myself buying this again because I am not really a fan of the style but it is a very enjoyable ale and well executed.

On the turntable is Deja Vu- CSNY- Released in 1970 on Atlantic Records- I have been reading the book Fire and Rain: The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor and CSNY and the Lost Story of 1970. Its a really good book and tells the story of these artists and their respective releases from 1970 and how their stories related to the culture at large in 1970. Unfortunately I was not even born yet so I didn't experience the year myself but I have always been fascinated with this time period.



Of all of these bands I am most interested most in CSNY. I know most people would prefer the Beatles but for me I think I actually listen more to CSNY and their various off-shoots more than any other of the bands mentioned. The one biography I have read about CSNY does not go as in depth as I would like but I would recommend David Crosby's autobiography Long Time Gone which is excellent though at times hard to read based on his graphic description of his descent into freebase cocaine. I just got the Deja Vu record recently. Its a clean copy and I got it for a buck. I have seen this record many times but never got around to buying it. It was an essential addition to my CSNY & Family collection. Is this album a masterpiece? I am not sure but it was an album that defined the era and changed a lot about the music industry itself. I was familiar with most of the songs on this album but Country Girl is still fairly new to me and a wonderful song that I had not been exposed to and more in the vein of the expansive tracks he was producing with Jack Nitszche on his first solo LP. I didn't post anything from this album this time around because these songs are readily available to anyone who wants them.

No comments:

Post a Comment