Thursday, September 2, 2010




9/2/10

Southern Tier Unearthly Imperial IPA- 22 oz. into Brandy Snifter- 10% ABV- Its been awhile since my last post, we just got back from Hawaii 5 days ago. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to bring back any beers or records, but had a great time anyway. The best beer I tried out there was the Waimea Brewpub's Captain Hook IPA, which was great. Tonight's beer is the Southern Tier Unearthly Imperial IPA. I did not realize until this week that Southern Tier is a New York State brewery. I have tried their IPA before and enjoyed it quite a bit. This beer is a dark orange in color. Very little head, but I did not poor to aggresively. Minimal lacing. One thing to say about the aroma...grapefruit. Definitely a strong grapefruit smell to this beer which was a little unexpected. Little carbonation but it tingles nicely on the tongue, light bodied and a bit resiny on the finish. This a high alcohol beer but it is hidden pretty well. This is a bit much for me. I was hoping it would have more of the qualities of their regualr IPA but this is an imperial and should have expected it to be a bit stronger than what I was hoping for. I don't think I have ever had a beer with such a grapefruit aroma before. A good imperial ale but not one I would revisit if I saw it on tap.

On the turntable is Richard Betts- Highway Call- Richard Betts aka Dickey Betts of the Allman Brothers. Recorded for Capicorn records in Macon, Georgia, 1974. Dickey and his friends, most notably Vassar Clemments on Fiddle and John Hughley on Steel Guitar. Much like the Grateful Dead I grew to appreciate the Allman Brothers Band later in life after I was subjected to them by alot of people in high school and college who I am not sure ever truly got them to begin with. This opinion is a bit presumptous of me, but its a hunch. I had seen this record once before and passed on it. Then a few years later I saw it and snatched it up. Dickey Betts is a masterful guitar palyer, songwriter and singer and this album does not disappoint. Very much in the vein of the Allman's but with a stronger country edge as opposed to the Allman's bluesier side. Additionaly the songs seem a bit more fleshed out for my tatse. I picked up some records today at one of my Brooklyn spots but felt like throwing this on instead since I dug it out of storage a few weeks ago on a Friday night. Its a shame Dickey is no longer with the Allman's but I guess that is how thing go sometimes. From what I have read some of his old habits die hard and did not mix well with some of the older guys in the band. This was his first solo LP and to be honest I have not heard any of his others. Nor have I heard his most recent band Great Southern, but I would like to.

No comments:

Post a Comment