Tuesday, September 14, 2010







9/11/10

Bluepoint Oktoberfest- New Beer Distributors, Chrystie Street New York, NY-12 oz. bottle into 10 oz Brandy Snifter- 5.5 % ABV- A little early for Oktoberfest but with the recent turn in the weather (cool, crisp in NYC) I decided to shift to some beers with autumn in mind, and they are starting to fill the shelves around here. Light orange in color. 2 finger head which receded quickly. A few patchy spots of lacing. The label is eye catching but a little two busy for my taste. Blue Point, is a Long Island based brewery. Kind of has a sweet, caramel like aroma with a hint of hops. The carbonation is there with lots of little bubbles visible. Mouth feel is medium bodied. I like the taste of this beer but I don't really get a whole lot of complexity. Kind of reminds me of Bass Ale but a little lighter. I have had a few of their Blue Point's beers in the past: Toasted Lager, Hoptical Illusion and their Blueberry Beer. I liked them but I don't make a habit of drinking them but I will from time to time have a Toasted Lager. As the name implies it does have a nice roastieness to it. Much like those beers I wouldn't seek this beer out but I would drink it on a cool October night if I came across it on tap. I bought this beer at New Beer Distributors on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Nice store! Alot of bottles to choose from and I am definitely going back in the near future. The guys in the store were helpful as well.

On the turntable is Ronnie Hawkins self titled LP Ronnie Hawkins. Recorded for Cotillion Records (subsidiary of Atlantic Records) in September 1969 at Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, Muscle Shoals, AL. I was watching the Last Waltz last night on DVD. The first time I saw the Last Waltz I was a novice fan of The Band. Additionally I wasn't familiar with some of the guests during the show and Ronnie Hawkins was definitely unfamiliar to me. 7 or 8 years later I know who Ronnie Hawkins is and this a really good LP. Ronnie Hawkins was a singer who employed members of The Band before they were The Band in his group The Hawks. Before finding this LP I had listened to some of Ronnie Hawkins earlier late 50's and early 60's rockabilly/r&b tracks which featured him and his Hawks. I like these sides but they are not exactly groundbreaking. This LP is pretty close to outstanding in my opinion. The LP is a richer sounding example of his work, with probably a bigger budget than his earlier records, and he is backed here by the Muscle Shoals boys in addition to Duane Allman on Slide Guitar and King Biscuit Boy on Harmonica. The songs he chose to sing really showcased his ability as a song interpreter and his delivery as a singer. Some of the songs on the record are: Will The Circle Be Unbroken, Matchbox by Carl Perkins and Forty Days by Chuck Berry {an earlier hit for him. Two real gems on this album are One More Night and a spiritual, churchy sounding rendition of One To Many Mornings originally written by the Bands new "boss" at the time of this recording, Bob Dylan. He also included the song "Who Do You Love" which he performed in the film the Last Waltz. There are no Ronnie Hawkins originals here but the LP is solid from back to front and the musicians are in top form, especially the keyboard players.

No comments:

Post a Comment