Thursday, May 31, 2012









Direct Me- Mitch Ryder MP3

5/31/12

beeradvocate.com rating- N/A

Bear Republic- Das Coma- California- Brouweji Lane, Brooklyn- 32oz. Growler into Pub Glass

Head- 1 1/2 finger, pillowy head

Color- Pale orange

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and active carbonation, a little oily

Aroma- Hoppy, not much wheat

Taste/ Overall- This is described as a hoppy imperial wheat beer. Not sure what made me choose this beere but it basically tastes like a double IPA to me. Super bitter and hoppy. No real wheat beer qualites jump out at me. It also has a bitter and boozy finish which I am not really enjoying. Wouldn't get this again. It needs to have more balance and something to bring out the wheat beer profiles.

Here we go again…another loss of an influential electric bass player from a seminal group. It was reported on May 15, 2012 that Donald “Duck” Dunne bassist for Booker T and The MG’s and all around session dynamo from the 60’s through the 2000’s passed away. It is an unfortunate reality but most of the music featured on this blog is being dictated by obituaries. The funny thing is the music of Booker T and the MG’S is music I probably would have not have sought out had it not been for the Beastie Boys. I don’t think I know of any direct samples in their music but the Beastie Boys did expose me to instrumental funk/soul and the MG’s were one of the leading purveyors of that style. In the late 90’s I started seeking instrumental music out for myself. After reading an article about them in a magazine I realized this is what I may have been searching for and I bought my first Booker T and the MG’s compilation at the now defunct Kim’s Video on St. Marks Place. Probably about 7 or 8 years later I saw Booker T and the remaining MG’s perform at park in Battery Park City for free on an overcast night in August. I am not gonna lie the weather seemed to dampen both the festivities and the energy in their set. I would have liked a more engaging performance but it was nice to just be in their presence and hear Green Onion’s, Groovin and Hang Em High. The venue and whole set was pretty informal and when we were walking back to the train I remember seeing Donald Duck Dunne hanging out by some trailers talking to some folks.

On the turntable is Mitch Ryder and the Detroit-Memphis Experiment recorded and released in 1969 for DOT Records. My only Booker T on vinyl is my copy of their musical and visual tribute to The Beatles -Mclemore Avenue- whose LP jacket mimics the cover of Abbey Road replacing London and Abbey Road for Memphis and Stax Studios. I chose this record to represent the MG’s because I actually had been both listening to it and thinking about it lately. I bought this LP back in November of 2011. Not really sure why this record was relegated to the dollar bin but I am assuming it was based on the unfortunate decision of “Dick Robertson” to write his name on the front cover in thick, permanent black marker. When I found this record it was not on my radar at all. It was not a record I had read about in Mojo or Waxpoetics. Nor was I hipped to it through one of the countless blogs I frequent which are deep sources of knowledge. I was familiar with the name Mitch Ryder and the added element of “Memphis” in the title was enough to persuade me to pick this up and take a look. I am glad I did because the liner notes indicated that this lp was produced by Mr. Steve Cropper and the backing band was Booker T & The MG’s. I have never been a complete stickler for condition so I decided to overlook the previous owners name in boldface and take this one home with me.

It is hard to anticipate failure when names like Steve Cropper, Donald “Duck” Dunne, Booker T and Al Jackson Jr. are attached to a record and this record is no different. This is a compelling LP which blends the backbone of the Memphis sound and a Detroit fortified snarl into a casually recalled slice of rock n’ soul. Included above is a MP3 version of Direct Me which has both a Stax and an gospely, Atlantic Records feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment