Thursday, March 29, 2012

Costa Rican Brew and a Band's Band





Howard Johnston's Got His Mojo Working- NRBQ

3/22/12

beeradvocate.com rating

Imperial Beer- Smuggled in from Costa Rica in 12 oz. bottle poured into Pub Glass 4.6% ABV

Head- 1 1/2 finger, foamy head. White

Color- Yellow

Mouthfeel- Light bodied heavy carbonation

Aroma- Beer

Taste/ Overall- This is my first Costa Rican beer which was generously brought to me by my friend who just went there on vacation. There is not a whole lot say about this beer but I imagine if I was sitting on a beach in Costa Rica I would probably love drinking these one after another. Good, simple lager.

On the turntable is Scraps and Workshop- NRBQ- This is a Two'fer LP set consisting of two LP's issued in 1972 and 1973. NRBQ is one of those groups from the 60's and 70's still around today. Today I was casually reviewing upcoming shows in the Village Voice and noticed that NRBQ is booked to play Brooklyn Bowl fairly soon. Pretty impressive considering Brooklyn is both fairly new and hip and tends to cater to bands a bit younger than NRBQ. I found this LP at a garage sale for a dollar and was pretty excited not just because it cost a dollar but this is a band I had heard good things about and never ever listened to. A band that is mentioned in the same way that Los Lobos is mentioned, a band's band. NRBQ which stands for New Rhythm Blues Quartet has a long history and you can see it here via wikipedia.

I am happy I found this LP in the way I did in a dusty old garage in Queens. It has a history separate than mine but I was instantly connected to it. The music, from the first needle drop, drew me in. Kind of a funky mish mash of The Band, Little Feat and Doug Sahm. Included her is the lead off track of LP #1 Howard Johnston's Got His Mojo Workin which immediately made me realize I made a good pick-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment