Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I'm Still Here


Merry Xmas!



Adjacent to the label on the bottleneck is a faint picture of UFO barely discernable in this picture. When this gatefold is opened it reveals the statuesque "stormtropper" on the cover gazing out at the UFO.




Time Was- Wishbone Ash MP3

12/21/11

beeradvocate.com rating- beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/1904

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale 2011- Quick Mart, Rego Park, Queens, NY- 12 oz. bottle into Belgian Beer Glass- 6.8% ABV

Head- 2 finger of head, dense and stuck around for quite a bit. Minimal lacing

Color- Reddish oranges and hazy

Mouthfeel- Light to a medium bodied, active carbonation

Aroma- Super piney

Taste/ Overall- I was looking forward to this beer. I tried it for the first time last year and it does not disappoint this year. Below is my 20110 review:

2010 Review- thursdaynightrecordsandbeer.blogspot.com/2010/12/if-if-onlyelvis-could-have-played.html

This years beer is very much in the same vein as last years beer. Lat Friday night I actually drank 4 bottles of these which is pretty impressive in my opinion because it is a pretty complex and bitter beer but the alcohol content is not super high. I actually would describe it as the same as I did last year. This beer seems to be a beer I will look forward to every winter season from now on.

On the turntable is Argus- Wishbone Ash. Recorded and released in 1972- I have been neglecting my blogging duties big time. I hope this does not become more of a trend. than it already has. My lack of posts is partially due to some work we have had done on our apartment the last few weeks. It also has some personal shifts in my own life which have necessitated some reflection and some time away from the blog. Hopefully I will be able to continue with the blog but only the next few months will tell.

This is an LP I has passed on a few times but decided to pick up fairly recently and I am glad I did. This is kind of a forgotten gem. If you conduct a search of the internet you can find a number of glowing reviews regarding this album and there deserved. Problem is if you weren't looking for this band specifically there is zero chance of coming across them in popular culture whether on the radio or on television. I don't even know where heard of them but most likely I read about them in a magazine.

This LP contains some superb twin guitar jams. Not only that but it also has some wonderful bass playing and airy vocal harmonies. Wishbone Ash is often mentioned in Prog Rock circles and the 2nd side of this LP certainly fits in with that definition. The jacket of the LP also has a distinct proggy feel and initially kind of made me back off a bit. In my opinion the first side of this LP doesn't feel particularly proggy to me. It has more of power pop feel, specifically, the opening track Time Was included hear as an MP3. If you are a fan of Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, Yes and Cheap Trick you would probably enjoy this record. I would also go as far as saying fans of Television and Lynrd Skynrd may also find some songs here that are appealing. You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment