Saturday, June 4, 2011






This Rather Than That- Buddy Montgomery MP3


Willy Nilly Blues- Buddy Montgomery MP3

6/4/11

beeradvocate rating- A-
official reviews-

Anderson Valley Hop Ottin IPA- Brouweji Lane- Greenpoint, Brooklyn- 32 oz- Poured in to Belgian Beer Glass- 7% ABV- Brewed in California. As I began posting this I realized it has been quite a while since I got a growler at Brouwerij Lane in Brooklyn. Its kind of a shame and I need to make an effort to go their more often there prices are really good and their selection for growlers is very good. IN comparison to other placed I have been this probably the best. Granted I have not gotten growlers anywhere else but based on the layout and selection alone this seems to be at the top of the pack and the guys who run the place are nice. The guy I spoke to Thursday said the brewer of Anderson Valley had flown out to Brouwerij Lane for their Anderson Valley tasting event a few weeks ago. This beer pored a fairly clear amber with a big dense head which stuck around. Globby lacing on the glass. The aroma is not as piney or citrusy as I expected. There is a sweet maltienes to it and just hints of fruity citrus. I for one can't really pick out any boozieness in this beer so at 7% ABV its pretty well hidden. Medium bodied mouth feel with light carbonation. I am enjoying this beer pretty smooth and balanced in my opinion and easy to drink. Some bitterness but balanced by some sweetness. There are some things going on this beer but I cant quite put my finger on them. Certainly a hoppy beer but a little more leveled out than some I have tried.

On the turntable is This Rather Than That- Buddy Montgomery. Recorded in Chicago on September 10 and 11, 1969 for Impulse Records. Buddy Montgomery, vibraphonist and piano player, was the younger brother of Wes and Monk Montgomery. I have been a fan of Wes Montgomery for quite some time and have more than a few of his records. But it took me a while to realize that early on in his career his band was largely comprised of his brothers. Over the years I have been lucky enough to come across some of their records as well. I have one Monk Montgomery record, which I came across recently, and two Buddy Montgomery records. I will probably do some other Montgomery brother related posts in the future but for now this is a fun enjoyable listen. There is not a whole lot of information out there on the internet about this LP and it does not really seem like a whole lot of thought went into this recording date. The liner notes indicate that their were two groups responsible for recording these tracks. Some of the members were holdovers from Bud's playing days with his brother Wes and with additional players augmenting the group who happened to be in town playing with Les McCann and Eddie Harris. This album has a laid back vibe to it and the arrangements do not seem overly complicated. It goes to show you don’t always need a whole lot of over preparation to make enjoyable music. The tracks I posted are really a throwback to what attracted me to jazz originally via the Beastie Boys. These two tracks are heavy on the organ and electric Fender bass favored by Monk Montgomery. The simmering vibraphone of Buddy Montgomery, the bass of Monk and Keyboards of Melvin Rhyne really lock into a groove on the title cut This Rather Than That.

1 comment:

  1. hi there.

    any chance you could share the mp3s of this album with me? i own the vinyl, but can't find the mp3s anywhere.

    thanks!



    chris

    ReplyDelete