Thursday, May 19, 2011

Gifts Of Beer Are Nice...Especially WhenThe Beer Is Good



Nice Gatefold Sleeve.




Cast Your Fate To The Wind- Quincy Jones MP3


Theme from The Anderson Tapes- Quincy Jones MP3

beeradvocate.com- A-

Brooklyn Local 1- Gift from Sister-In-Law- 25 oz. Corked Bottle- 9% ABV- I am kind of embarrassed by the fact that this is my first post for May 2011 since this is the third week of May but things happen that way. I don't have a good excuse for why I haven't posted in a while but hopeful I can step things up a bit in the next week or so since I have a few days off coming up. This beer was a gift from my sister-in-law for letting her stay with us while she was closing on a co-op. Another corked beer, I think this is my second and it's from the local Brooklyn Brewery and is described as a Strong Belgian Pale Ale on beeradvocate.com. I haven't had to many Belgian beers in my lifetime but I was excited to see this waiting in the fridge for me. It poured with at least 2 fingers and a half of head but the foam wasn't very dense and dissipated quickly. Though it receded quickly about a half a finger worth of head settled in nicely throughout me sipping, which I have to say is a bit uncommon in my experience. Probably a good sign. Not much lacing on the glass but at 9% ABV maybe that is why. Super carbonated, prickly against the tongue. Light, golden cloudy appearance. I can't put my finger on the aroma but it has a faint citrus aroma with spicy notes I can't identify. The mouth feel is a well balanced medium body. I have to say I am digging this beer and at 9% ABV I am putting it down fairly easily. This beer has some Wheat Beer qualities to it which I don't normally enjoy but I am certainly digging this beer. Unfortunately, I am sharing it with my wife because I would have enjoyed drinking this one on my own. Probably one of the best Brooklyn Beers I have had.


Run your fingers along the LP jacket and you can feel the tree's, you don't get that with CD's!

On the turntable is Smackwater Jack- Quincy Jones- Recorded for the L.A. centric A&M Records at A&R Studios in NYC with what looks like a hodgepodge of NYC and L.A. session musicians including Jimmy Smith on Organ and the wonderful Carol Kaye on Bass. I had looked for this record for a while after reading a bit about it in Dusty Groove magazine before finding it at a criminally low price. Quincy Jones is obviously one of our countries most gifted composers and musicians whose career spanned the early days of be-bop to the present day. Oh yeah and produced Thriller while he was at it! Unfortunately that last achievement often overshadows all of his other amazing work. I already have a few Quincy Jones LP's but it is earlier work done in the 50's and early 60's and distinctly less funky than this particular LP. This record covers a lot of bases in eight tracks. The title track is composed by Carole King and Gerry Goffin. Whats Going on by Martin Gaye is covered in a close to ten minute epic with vocals contributed by Quincy himself. Closing out the record is a six minute ode to the history of the electric guitar in the 20th Century covering styles from Robert Johnson, Charlie Christian, Wes Montgomery, B.B. King and J. Hendrix. Awesome. Despite those obviously inspiring tracks I included two other tracks one of which is the theme from a film called The Anderson Tapes and another composed by jazz pianist Vince Guaraldi more none for his soundtracks for the animated Peanuts (Charlie Brown, Snoopy) score. These tracks indicate the direction alot of jazz and easy listening music would move towards in the seventies. Both tracks have pleasing, rippling synth's and electric keyboards which at the time of this recording would have sounded ahead of their time but now sound a bit nostalgic.

No comments:

Post a Comment