Saturday, February 12, 2011

Make A Believer Out Of Me




Out Of The Depths- Mahalia Jackson MP3

2/12/11

beeradvocate.com rating- B

Smuttynose Winter Lager- Brouweji Lane- Greenpoint, Brklyn- 32 oz.. Growler into 12oz Brandy Snifter- Poured a dark brown with some hints of red around the edges. About one fingers worth of tan head which receded rapidly. Little to no lacing on the glass. The aroma has a lot of raisins and dark fruit qualities mixed in with malty characteristics. A medium bodied mouthfeel with a silky texture. Carbonation is high compared to the other winter lagers I have had. I was looking for a "winter warmer" when I bought this and it doesn't exactly hit the mark in that respect. That said it didn't advertise itself as a winter warmer. This is a good beer but not particularly distinguishable from other winter lagers I have had except for the carbonation. It's a good beer but not something I would seek out again.

On the turntable is The Worlds Greatest Gospel Singer- Mahalia Jackson- American music popular music has deep, deep roots in gospel music. If you traced the most influential artists of the 20th century backwards through their musical lineage you would eventually reach some type of gospel influence, directly or indirectly. In some ways the two are inseparable. From Ray Charles to Hank Williams and Sam Cooke to Johnny Cash most of the great artists of the 20th Century (and most of my favorites) had some connection to gospel music and as a result the people who were inspired by them did to. In today's music world the connection is harder to identify and pales in comparison to the influence that "church" music had on pop music in the 20th Century. My personal vinyl collection is about 98% secular music but there are a few gospel records in there and this is one of the better ones. Mahalia Jackson is backed by a jazzy, r&b flavored combo identified as the Fall-Jones Ensemble.

I was raised in a Catholic family but at this point in my life I am a bit of a lapsed Catholic. Unfortunately the music I heard in church growing up was nothing like the music contained in this LP. If it had been I may have paid more attention. The religious themes and references to Jesus don't bother me as it might some other people. I can appreciate this music as it is even if I don't subscribe to the message wholeheartedly. The band that backs Ms. Jackson is a swinging one and really adds to Ms. Jackson's performances. She has a wonderful voice, a voice that can make you a believer if you already aren't one.

No comments:

Post a Comment